ACCELERATE User Behaviour and HMI Activity Knowledge through Logging
TAKE THE NEXT STEP AND ACCELERATE WITH US!
We are now launching ACCELERATE, a new thesis program within Volvo Group in Sweden, which offers an excellent way to build relationships for the future.
You will be part of building tomorrows innovative transport solutions together with teams of passionate people and get the opportunity to combine theory with practice. For the program participants we can offer you to write a Master or Bachelor thesis and grow with us through product experience sessions and development activities.
You apply by filling in your personal details in the system and attach your resume. We also want you to attach your personal cover letter where we would like you to tell us why you are interested in joining the program and write your thesis for The Volvo Group. If you are two students who want to apply together, please upload both resumes and a common cover letter.
Cab Engineering at Volvo Group Trucks Technology (Volvo GTT) are responsible for developing the cabs for the different truck brands. At Cab Engineering, the department of Ergonomics & Driver Interface is among other things responsible for setting HMI/UX related requirements for most functions that the truck drivers use.
Today, the user interfaces and interactions in the trucks are designed from assumptions about user needs based on interviews, observations, surveys and other qualitative methods.
The ambition of this thesis work is to explore the possibilities to use logged vehicle data about how the users interact with the truck, and use these statistics as a knowledge base for future truck designs and priorities. The goal is to further improve the user experience, fulfil the user needs and provide more user-friendly and safer user journeys and user interfaces.
Examples of questions that the thesis work could aim to answer:
- How do the users use the whole HMI in our current trucks?
- What functions and interactions are most frequently used by the drivers?
- What controls or systems are used in sequence?
- In what contexts are the different functions used and interactions taking place?
- What do the user journeys/interaction sequences look like from input devices to function/feedback output?
- In what areas does the logged vehicle data match the results from co-rides and interviews and when do they differ?
- For what purposes are logged data useful and when are co-rides, surveys and interviews recommended, to find user needs?
- Based on the results from logging and interviews – how can the whole truck HMI be designed to better fulfil the user needs? (layout, controls, information and interaction)
- Are there any specific considerations that can be foreseen for autonomous vehicles based on the data?
Engineering student at Master’s level with background in Industrial Design Engineering, Interaction Design, Programming, or Product Development. Or Psychology student on Master’s degree level. Preferably a cooperation between two students with different educational backgrounds.
Description of thesis work:
- Be 100% present at Volvo GTT in Gothenburg as members of the ordinary group
- Regular follow-up meetings with tutors for support, to share results and plan ahead
- If possible - Work in a pair to secure a more cross-functional approach, significant result and personal development
- Analysis of logged vehicle data in cooperation with GTT Data Analysts
- Interviewing and observing users to understand their needs and behaviours
- Verify if the statistics from the logged data correspond with the qualitative data from interviews and observations
- Pinpoint areas in the existing truck user interfaces where improvements are needed according to the findings
- Establish measurable requirements based on the findings
- Develop concept ideas within a user interface in need of improvement, using simulations if needed
- Performing verifications of the concept solutions against the established requirements
- Performing user validations of the chosen concept solution (in driving simulator if relevant)
Volvo Group Trucks Technology provides Volvo Group Trucks and Business Area's with state-of-the-art research, cutting-edge engineering, product planning and purchasing services, as well as aftermarket product support. With Volvo Group Trucks Technology you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust each other and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.