Onsite Network Support Technician Associate
The Network Support Technician Associate provides network infrastructure support for a specific Volvo production facility. This position occurs as part of the Onsite Americas team, within the Infrastructure and Onsite Services (IOS) unit of Volvo’s Group IT Organization.
The Network Support Technician role is the local representation of Group IT for a specific business production facility. In this role it is critical to work together with regional and global colleagues to deliver new and upgraded infrastructure for business solutions and the end-user IT environment. This includes, but is not limited to, hosting platforms (typically x86), Windows OS, LAN (wired and wireless), Windows enterprise client solutions for office and factory, personal mobility, and specialized factory devices such as bar code scanners, forklift mounted hardware, and specialized printing technology. These technologies are highly standardized in Volvo Group IT business practice and much of the work is conducted according to standard processes and methodologies. Most server and network hardware is configured according to Standard Operating Environment (SOE) specifications, common throughout Volvo’s global network.
This role will require occasional weekend and after hours support.
- Responsible for administration and day-to-day operation of organization's network systems (e.g., LAN, WAN, wireless and VoIP).
- Manages medium to highly complex network and server environments (including virtualization).
- Participates in the development, implementation, and maintenance of policies, procedures and associated training plans for network resource administration, appropriate use, security controls, and disaster recovery.
- Monitors and tests network performance and prepares statistics reports.
- Participates in the evaluation, selection, development, and integration of new network systems and applications.
- Orders and installs new server hardware and other network devices.
- Performs upgrades, monitors, troubleshoots and fixes network hardware and software problems of medium to high complexity.
- Provide time critical support of the network infrastructure
- Proficient in managing the change process in a production facility
- Provides project implementation support to meet business objectives.
- Provides support and resolution for escalated communications problems.
- Follows company guidelines and procedures for trouble resolution and work effort reporting.
- Assist and implement daily adds, moves, and changes, including cabling infrastructure, and hardware (Racks, WIC’s, Patch Panels, Copper & Fiber Hardware).
- Taking ownership and driving resolutions to insure customer satisfaction.
- Working environment
- This position is in a Production Assembly factory
- This position also supports various facilities within a 25 minute drive of the primary assembly location in Macungie, PA
- A work area with a personal computer (standard office ) and working space
- Working Hours
- Preferred working hours of 7am to 4pm
- May require earlier starting times after major changes to ensure a smooth start to the assembly process or to match overtime requirements of the assembly schedules.
- Team Work
- Part of a local team providing time critical support to the business
- Part of an extended team of network technicians across other factory locations in the US
- Physical demands
- Significant walking within the facility
- Moving/installation of network devices such as switches
- Ability to work on, around, and under furniture within the office
- Use of small ladders to reach data cabinets
- Is dedicated to deliver customer value
- Has ability to build effective relationships
- Has very strong communication skills
- Has fluency in English, both written and spoken
- Is open to change and enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks
- Pursues everything with energy, drives and has a need to finish
- Broad IT background
- Excellent interpersonal and coaching skills.
- Ability to work with various departments and foster teamwork.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner.
- Gather and analyze information skillfully.
- Demonstrate resourcefulness and initiative in dealing with daily assumptions.
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge skills and abilities.
- 2-4 years of experience with LAN technologies, including multiple network operating systems (topologies and Wide Area Networking).
- Experience working in a highly matrixed organization.
- Ability to work in a team environment, manage multiple clients, and provide consultative skills throughout the process.
- Ideal candidate will be highly motivated with a strong sense of urgency.
Volvo Group IT manages the Group’s overall IT strategies and plans and has the end-to-end responsibility for all development, delivery, support of IT solution and services for the Volvo Group.
We are more than 6000 people based in 36 countries working in a completely global organization. We are a team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust each other and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify