Intern: Customer Engineering (Spring 2020)
The Volvo Group is one of the world's leading manufacturers of trucks, buses, and construction equipment, drives systems for marine and industrial application, and is one of the world's leading producers of heavy-diesel engines. The Volvo Group, which employs more than 90,000 people, has production facilities in 19 countries and sells products in more than 180 markets.
The Volvo Group Truck Operations facility in Dublin, Virginia manufactures Class 8 Heavy Duty Trucks. The facility includes over 3,300 Team Members in Welding, Painting, Assembly, Engineering, and Support Functions.
Purpose of the Position:
The Customer Engineering internship role provides students with the opportunity to apply academic knowledge and skills in a professional environment, and to promote the graduate's career goals through contact with professionals in their field of study. The internship experience enables students to participate in professional activities for the Volvo Truck facility by working on important and innovative projects.
- Weekly Writing Assignments- Brief written summaries of the learning experiences and project updates will be required
- Project Presentations- Formal project presentations will be required to be presented to Peers, Management, and Senior Leaders within the organization
- Mentor Feedback- Throughout the entire experience, the mentor will provide verbal and written feedback on performance
- Formal Written Performance Review- At the end of the internship, each intern will be given a formal written evaluation based on their work performance
- During the internship, the student will complete the following projects focused on the Customer Engineering operations of the facility
- Work Analysis- Perform a detailed analysis, within Customer Engineering, which includes data, systems, and process review
- Project Work Presentation- The project work will be reviewed with and presented to Team Members, Supervisors, and Managers to ensure the organization understands the outcomes an realizes the improvements of the project
- Applicants should be interested in pursuing a professional career as a Design Engineer in a Product Development organization
- Applicants must possess at least a 3.0 GPA
- Applicants must be currently enrolled and pursing an Engineering degree at an accredited school and have completed 30 semester hours prior to the start of the internship
- Applicants should also have a working knowledge of MS Office applications; possess analytical capabilities, and problem solving abilities
- Spring Interns are required work less than 30 hours per week and must be enrolled as full-time student
Volvo Group Trucks Operations encompasses all production of the Group’s engines and transmissions, as well as all production of Volvo, Renault and Mack trucks. The organization is responsible for spare parts supplies to the Group's customers as well as for designing, operating and optimizing logistics and supply chain for all brands, production facilities and distribution centers where the Volvo Group operates. In Volvo Group Trucks Operations you will be part of a diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify