Operations Manager - GTO SML DC Singapore
SML APAC is operating from seven sites: Singapore, Australia, S Korea, China, Indonesia, India & Thailand. Our regional office is located in Singapore.
In being part of SML APAC we work closely together with the Volvo Group Business Areas who are sales responsible in the region and its markets for all products. The Service Market Logistics supply chain gives you a good opportunity to understand how the Volvo group works from supplier to customer. With us, you can push your own professional skills and drive change together with committed people. We are in an exciting transformation phase – come, learn and create a new future together with us!
DC Operations Manager is a key Leadership position responsible for the Distribution Center (DC) operations in Singapore where we run two 10,000 m² facilities with a workforce of industrial workers (team leaders and team members). You will be responsible for securing continuous improvements in the operational output such as efficiency, quality, lead-times and delivery precision. An equally important responsibility is to improve the way work is being performed and to nurture the use of Lean principles with a strong focus on developing people, processes and the working environment through an inclusive culture. Excellent interpersonal leadership skills, personal drive to improve as well as a strong ability to cooperate are essential to succeed in this role.
The position is reporting to Director – Distribution Center, Singapore.
- Ensure that the organization is supporting the Volvo Group Trucks Operations Strategic Objectives and Service Market Logistics priorities by actively planning, communicating, developing and monitoring performance in all key areas
- To provide efficient Service Market Logistics Services to the distribution network and drive a culture of continuous improvement which requires Leadership, Learning, Structured Problem solving and development in everything we do
- Drive optimisation in the DC Singapore Operations in line with lean principles and the Volvo Production System (VPS) as well as the Volvo Operations Concept (VOC)
- Provide Leadership to the DC Operations organisation by creating engagement and personal development of our employees
- Accountability and optimization of performance for the DC operational processes (such as unloading, prepacking, binning, picking, packing, loading, quality checking, discrepancy detection and investigation etc.)
- Drive Operational Excellence through the effective implementation and application of lean principles reflected in the Volvo Production System (VPS) methodology
- Develop, recommend and implement improvements in the internal materials handling and administrative processes to improve quality, customer service, lead-time, productivity and cost efficiency
- Develop the warehouse personnel, organization and environment to improve flexibility, teamwork, motivation, skill set and attitude through the use of team meetings, training, performance evaluation tools, provide necessary coaching and proactive succession planning. All in line with the Volvo Group Values creating an engaged and inclusive organization
- Manage operational internal interfaces and external customer demands having efficient communication and relationships to ensure needs of our organization and customers are met
- Participation in and contribution to key transformation projects on all activities related to DC Singapore by showcasing project management competencies and skills
- Compliance to Internal/ External Audits without any non- conformance and ensuring adherence to systems and processes with respect to Audit Standards
Lead the management and coordination of key priorities / objectives within the DC operations. Ensure timely and accurate reporting of the responsible Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s), investigating and reporting on variances. Proactively addressing deviations together with relevant teams using lean/VPS principles and methodologies and keep a constant focus on standards related to Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost, Environment and People.
CRITICAL COMPETENCIES FOR THE POSITION
The Role Holder carries extensive experience and expertise in both Functional Competencies and Leadership Competencies to deliver the defined Business Objectives.
- An extensive experience in Logistics, DC Operational processes and experience in Volvo or Global Supply Chain processes (production and/or aftermarket) and tools as well as a strong understanding of business challenges in an international environment
- Documented experience in DC or warehouse management
- Working or have worked in an organization that values quality, safety, environment, diversity and respect for the individual, you hold strong personal credibility, integrity and creativity. Your daily work includes problem-solving abilities and a good understanding of the people management
- An active management team member, demonstrating a high value based leadership
- Skilled in coaching and developing team leaders and members having a very good interpersonal relations and organizational development mindset
- Have has significant change management experience and demonstrated ability to set demanding targets and to motivate teams and individuals to deliver outside their comfort zones
- A cross functional mindset and is a strong communicator having good influencing skills, able to create trusting relationships in spite of cultural differences and geographical distance
- Strong interpersonal skills with a high degree of ‘flexibility’, including the ability to network effectively across the Volvo organization and within SML APAC
- The ability to develop an excellent working climate and atmosphere in alignment with the Volvo Group Values and our Code of Conduct
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience & with Leadership Experience of 5 years in managing team of direct subordinates and also within Supply Chain Management areas
- Ability to understand and handle industrial workers (Blue Collar) and related issues in a warehousing environment
- Tertiary Education / Qualification in Management, Logistics or related discipline
- Formal Training in either Lean Manufacturing/Six Sigma/Total Quality Management or other excellence standards
- IT systems knowledge (warehouse management systems / ERP systems / AS400 systems)
- As all documentation is in English, proficiency in the English language is a must
- Proficiency in MS Office applications including Excel & Power Point
Volvo Group Trucks Operations encompasses all production of the Group’s engines and transmissions, as well as all production of Volvo, Renault and Mack trucks. The organization is responsible for spare parts supplies to the Group's customers as well as for designing, operating and optimizing logistics and supply chain for all brands, production facilities and distribution centers where the Volvo Group operates. In Volvo Group Trucks Operations you will be part of a diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.