Intern: Trade Compliance (Spring 2020)
SML North America (NA) is a part of SML and has about 1,000 employees across the United States, Canada and Mexico. We operate the Central Distribution Center in Byhalia, MS as well as Regional Distribution Centers across the NA region.
Position Description Summary
The Trade Compliance Intern position will be responsible for working with the Customs & Trade North America team, to support daily operations and projects, while learning about international trade and regulatory compliance.
Purpose of the Position
The internship position is for the Spring of 2020, and the specific work days and hours will be flexible, but agreed upon with the hiring manager.
- During the internship, the student will remain engaged and fully supportive of Customs & Trade NA’s strategic objectives
- Successfully complete scheduled training regarding basic importing, exporting, and compliance topics
- Assist Customs & Trade, Master Data with any necessary projects
- Assist Customs & Trade, Development with relevant projects and research
- Assist Customs & Trade, Compliance Control with related post-entry audits, export audits, and related projects
- Weekly Writing Assignments: Brief written summaries of the learning experiences and project updates may be required
- Project Presentations: Formal project presentations may be required to be presented to peers, management, and senior leaders within the organization
- Performance Feedback: Throughout the entire experience, the manager will provide verbal and written feedback on work performance. At the end of the internship, each intern will be given a formal written evaluation based on their work performance
- Applicants must be currently enrolled and pursuing a degree in Business Administration, International Business / Studies, or a related field, at an accredited school
- Applicants should be interested in pursuing a professional career in International Business with a specific interest in Importing, Exporting, or Trade Compliance
- Applicant must have completed 30 semester hours prior to the start of the internship and have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0
- Spring Interns are required work less than 30 hours per week and must be enrolled as full-time student
- Applicants should be proficient in Microsoft Office Applications (Excel, Access, Word, and PowerPoint)
- Strong Analytical and Problem Solving Skills
- Effective professional verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Customer Service
- Technical Skills
- Peer Relationships
- Integrity and Trust
- Standing Alone
- Action Oriented
Volvo Group Trucks Operations encompasses all production of the Group’s engines and transmissions, as well as all production of Volvo, Renault and Mack trucks. The organization is responsible for spare parts supplies to the Group's customers as well as for designing, operating and optimizing logistics and supply chain for all brands, production facilities and distribution centers where the Volvo Group operates. In Volvo Group Trucks Operations you will be part of a diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify