Junior Supervisor - Production
Engine Product Line is organized in GO-Teams (Goal-Oriented teams). These teams are cross-functional and autonomous to :
- manage a part of the process,
- delivers volumes at the expected Quality/Safety/Cost targets
- decide and drive continuous improvements projects
- In this organization, the role of the GoTeam leader is key to secure sharing and alignment among production team members and support functions. If you are up for the challenge to become one of this leader, this job is for you.
- shadow and support experienced GoTeam leaders,
- be challenged on continuous improvement projects
- follow some leadership development training program
- Managerial position: Junior Supervisor – Production:
- Responsible for the production of powertrain components and assemblies (Engines, Transmissions, or Axles) supporting Volvo Group Trucks and Bus brands in North America. Depending on product line, may include any or all of the following: machining, heat treatment, assembly, test, paint operations.
- Junior Production Supervisor: N-5 from Volvo Group CEO,
- Reports to Director – Product Line
- Direct reports (blue collar) in the department report to the Junior Supervisor.
Key responsibilities/ Accountabilities
In this program you will step by step increase your area of responsibilities:
- Insure a safe work environment for all employees using a methodical approach to risk identification and mitigation
- Lead through a communicative leadership style, with 2 way communication and high employee engagement. Ensure all employees are aware of their responsibilities, how they contribute to the total result, and that they are recognized for performance
- Supervise blue collar workers
- Maintain accurate time and attendance records for all departmental employees; initiate and record corrective actions to address attendance issues
- Assess performance, competencies, and flexibility of employees within the department and initiate appropriate training, counselling, or corrective action to optimize the efficiency and effectiveness of the employees
- Ensure the availability of skilled resources to consistently improve upon the performance of the department and readily adapt to evolving demands
- Create an environment of success with the expectation for continuous learning
- Support the team to deliver some of the agreed and committed overall objectives for the product line
- Champion the culture aimed at giving a strong image of the unit and align with AB Volvo values and principles.
- Understand and apply the principles of lean manufacturing. Utilize the techniques and methodologies of the Volvo Production System (VPS).
- Initiate and follow up restructuring and improvement projects.
- Actively support overall company programs and policies.
- Understand the collective bargaining unit agreements and collaborate with union officials.
- Key Targets and Results:
- Safety - Lost Time Accident Frequency Rate
- Variable Cost per Unit
- Employee Engagement
- Cost of Poor Quality
- On-time delivery
- Overall Equipment Efficiency
- # Improvements Per Employee
Essential educational and/or training qualifications and certificates:
- High School + 3 years experience or Associate/ Bachelor Degree preferred
- Previous experience in a Manufacturing environment
- Previous leadership experience (Team leadership and/or cross-functionnal leadership)
- Preferred experience and knowledge:
- Experience working in a lean manufacturing environment
- Experience working in a Unionized environment
Necessary technical/functional/language skills
- Needs to have a good understanding of the Volvo Group Businesses
- As all documentation is in English, proficiency in the English language is required
Key Competencies for Leading People
- Strategic Thinking – Customer Focus, Managing Diversity, Priority Setting
- Inspirational Leadership – Developing Direct Reports & Others, Informing, Delegation
- Courage and Integrity – Integrity & Trust, Fairness to direct reports
- Execution – Directing Others, Perseverance, Drive for Results
- Self-management – Learning on the Fly, Self-Development
Volvo Group Trucks Operations encompasses all production of the Group’s engines and transmissions, as well as all production of Volvo, Renault and Mack trucks. The organization is responsible for spare parts supplies to the Group's customers as well as for designing, operating and optimizing logistics and supply chain for all brands, production facilities and distribution centers where the Volvo Group operates. In Volvo Group Trucks Operations you will be part of a diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify