GTP NA SQ&D Supplier Development Engineer
As the SQ&D Supplier Development Engineer for GTP NA, you drive and manage performance of your supply base from a QDCF-TSR stand point. You will be part of a team of supplier development colleagues focused on addressing low performing suppliers that have traditionally impacted Volvo/Mack operations. You will focus on providing strong supplier technical assistance. The supplier concern areas are heavily focused on unhealthy quality systems, lack of technical resources, and an inability to find quick and sustainable solutions when production processes become abnormal. Primarily, the mission is to return the suppliers back to health and install a zero tolerance focus at the supplier for impacting Volvo operations or customer satisfaction. Furthermore, when required, the mission is also to support resourcing activities away from troubled suppliers.
You will also promote a strong collaboration between Supplier Development and the rest of NA SQ&D and GTP. This extends globally thereby capitalizing on global knowledge and competence sharing within SQ&D.
Reporting To: GTP NA SQ&D Supplier Development Manager
As Supplier Development Engineer, you are expected to support all activities that ensure a continuous flow of quality part supply to our NA Plants. In addition, this role must also attempt to minimize costs to Volvo. During supplier development and technical assistance missions, the engineer must chose the right approach, depth, focus, techniques and lessons learned, in order to properly address situations. Each supplier development opportunity may be unique.
- Actively engaged with Volvo/Mack suppliers and supply chains
- Ability to accurately assess supplier weaknesses and provide solutions
- Monitor high risk supplier development issues in order to prevent crisis at our Volvo operations
- Drive and develop supplier problem solving techniques for identified supplier fault issues
- Fix and develop supplier quality systems and processes to prevent impact to Volvo operations
- Drive supplier operational excellence and zero defect philosophies
- Set focused priorities to reach objectives
- Work in accordance with the GTP processes, the Code of Conduct and the Volvo Way
- Represent GTP at suppliers and escalate as needed to prevent crisis at our Volvo operations
- University degree required. Major in engineering or business management or supply chain management preferred
- Minimum 5 years of supply chain (quality and development) and/or production experience
- Preferably experience from the automotive or heavy commercial truck industry in plant supplier quality, manufacturing engineering, supplier development or crisis management
- Strong problem solving, communication and teamwork skills
- Strong accountability and project management for tasks without close supervision
- Act with strong sense of urgency and commitment
- Able to handle uncertainty and the unexpected
- Able to handle unfamiliar tasks, using previous experiences
- Ability to multitask and manage workload efficiently and effectively
- Ability to drive sense of urgency to suppliers focused on information, communication, and results. Provide direct & actionable feedback
- Be customer focused
- Provide timely information for accurate decisions
- Able to create trustful relations and face reality, surface problems and support finding solutions
- Strong collaboration and leadership skills
- Able to execute in a complex regional organization
- Anticipate bottlenecks, explore contingencies and provide solutions
Volvo Group Purchasing has 125 BSEK in Purchasing annual spend and 2,550 suppliers in serial production. Only for the truck business, 2 billion truck parts were delivered to 40 plants around the world. By scouting and working with high performing suppliers, we deliver the best possible products and service that bring value to our customers. We support the Volvo Group’s mission ‘Driving prosperity through transport solutions’ by applying the principles of Code of Conduct and sustainable sourcing to the purchasing processes.
When you join Volvo Group Purchasing, you will become part of a global network with more than 1,300 professionals in 50 different sites across 25 countries. We offer unique opportunities for you to connect with people across functions, and we are passionate to accelerate your career through competence development.
We Participate in E-verify