Supplier Quality Engineer, in Plant
The Supplier Quality Engineer in Plant (SQP) performs activities in order to improve suppliers’ quality performance in serial production. He/she has to secure the Volvo plants regarding supplier quality issues (in cooperation with concerned SQP’s at other plants). He/she is responsible to lead action plan with the suppliers to improve their quality results. The responsibility is applicable only to externally purchased material
Continuously improve quality of suppliers in order to reduce/eliminate disturbances at local Group Trucks Operations (GTO) plant
The activity scope concerns serial production parts purchased from external suppliers by any AB Volvo BA/BU, including interacting with non GT Purchasing organizations, such as Volvo CE, Penta etc.
- Coordinate containment actions in local Volvo plant and/or at suppliers, initiate inspections/sorting as needed, and in cooperation with local logistics department safeguard replacement deliveries if needed
- Coordinate in plant Supplier Performance Management Reviews
- Participate in cross-functional root cause analysis activities
- Daily contacts with suppliers regarding supplier quality related issues
- Issue Inspection Reports and follow-up suppliers’ 8D-reports, to ensure root cause is found and robust corrective actions are implemented and documented by the supplier in accordance to SQAM requirements
- Verify, evaluate and approve action plans from suppliers
- On site at suppliers, review and identify suppliers’ manufacturing risks and improvement areas
- Perform Process Audit at suppliers and drive supplier to close identified gaps
- Report and follow-up deviations for serial production parts, including initiate, follow-up and close deviation report requests. Take appropriate actions at suppliers to prevent recurrence
- Secure that Customer Claims and Quick Solving Process issues related to purchased material are solved in accordance to SQAM requirements
- Coordinate necessary supplier quality improvement activities with colleagues at other Volvo plants globally
- Represent Purchasing in local GTO meetings, e.g. QRQC, Task Force teams, Shokiryudo etc.
- Gather supplier quality information and feedback this to APQP Supplier Quality Engineers for Sourcing Cases
- Attend PHR (Part Handling Review) meeting
- Follow up Supplier performance to decide appropriate supplier quality improvement activities based on trend analysis, e.g. 8D follow up and/or 8D training, Process audit, LPS etc
- Utilize Firewalls, Supplier Quality Performance Tracking (SQPT) etc as needed to ensure quality from the suppliers
- Participate in handover from SQE for new parts including Pre-launch Control Plan (PLCP) follow up activities
- Monitor suppliers’ KPI/PI performance and act as necessary
- Ensure supplier submission of Part/Process Change Notification (PPCN) if required as an outcome of chosen corrective actions
- Identify and highlight knowledge gaps in Quality tools, e.g. 8D, Root Cause Analysis, 5W2H etc.
- Collect and evaluate experience and knowledge from overall business –lessons learned- to avoid repeated mistakes or failures
- Within the frames of the management system, SQP Engineer has the authority to conduct the tasks described above, i.e:
- Contact and drive suppliers in order to rectify and/or prevent supplier quality problems
- Approve or reject supplier’s actions regarding Inspection Reports
- Assure that other Volvo functions, e.g. SQP in other plants, SQE, material control, buyers, are informed about critical quality problems, if concerned.
- Initiate appropriate actions at suppliers according to valid processes, guidelines and instructions
- Monitor and evaluate continual improvement activities at suppliers manufacturing plants
- Propose suppliers to be entered into LPS, suggest new “business on hold” or phased out per the LPS escalation process
- Perform and approve/reject audit performance
- Stop supplier production and deliveries to Volvo group plants
- Minimum of Basic Engineering education or >5 years of technical experience needed (extensive experience and strong performance can substitute for lack of diploma)Great problem-solving abilities and synthesizing skills
- Good English communication skills, both orally and in writing
- Good knowledge of automotive quality standards and tools, e.g. ISO/TS 16949
- Good knowledge of Lean concept
- Structured with good analytical skills, logical thinking
- Preventive mindset but also leadership when it comes to problem-solving or to take decisions
- Ability to create networks and to lead cross functional activities within multi-cultural teams
- Excellent communication and strong project management skills
- Can work with significant independence
- Occasional Travel is required
- The SQP Engineer reports to the SQP Manager (Supplier Quality in Plant)
Volvo Group Purchasing has 125 BSEK in Purchasing annual spend and 2,550 suppliers in serial production. Only for the truck business, 2 billion truck parts were delivered to 40 plants around the world. By scouting and working with high performing suppliers, we deliver the best possible products and service that bring value to our customers. We support the Volvo Group’s mission ‘Driving prosperity through transport solutions’ by applying the principles of Code of Conduct and sustainable sourcing to the purchasing processes.
When you join Volvo Group Purchasing, you will become part of a global network with more than 1,300 professionals in 50 different sites across 25 countries. We offer unique opportunities for you to connect with people across functions, and we are passionate to accelerate your career through competence development.
We Participate in E-verify