Feature Development Engineer - Ride Comfort and Vibration
Chassis Engineering in Greensboro, North Carolina now has an exciting opening and we are looking for a Feature Development Engineer for Ride Comfort and Vibration/ Chassis Suspension Engineer, at the Principal level, to join our department.
Would you like to be part of a strong team in the development of future chassis solutions that includes electrification and automation? Would you like to work in an enthusiastic and challenging atmosphere surrounded by highly skilled co-workers? Does the chance to develop new and advanced chassis solutions for Mack and Volvo trucks excite you?
Then this position may be the right one for you!
Chassis Engineering is a highly skilled team in charge of the chassis development for the North America truck brands in the Volvo Group. We develop components, systems and complete chassis for conventional trucks as well as for electro-mobility and automation.
This position will report to the Group Manager for Steering, Axles & Suspension in Chassis Engineering Greensboro.
Responsibilities and Main Tasks
As a Feature Development Engineer for Ride Comfort and Vibration, you are responsible to develop features and balance product solutions to meet specific targets. As a Chassis Suspension Engineer, you will support the development and maintenance of vehicle suspension systems. The workload will be evenly split between the two roles.
The Steering, Axles & Suspension team is primarily responsible for steering functions, non-driven axles and suspension solutions. The team works in close cooperation with many different functions and departments. As Feature Development Engineer, you will also work in close cooperation with Chassis Structure and Analysis, Cab Engineering, Powertrain Engineering and the Test department.
We are seeking an engineer that is a team player and enjoys working in a cross-functional environment to develop solutions for truck applications.
Examples of typical activities and responsibilities:Lead activities to fulfill feature targets
- Break down feature requirements (vehicle performances and end-user-functions) to product requirements
- Lead and perform analysis of solution alternatives, from early exploration to final verification
- Lead development work, support product owners and engineers in balancing technical solutions to meet targets
- Develop verification plans for features, including technical risk mitigation in coordination with the Feature Verification Engineer
- Take an active role in the development of Product Roadmaps
- Support the development of parts and systems while achieving targets for performance, quality, features and cost
- Support the development, verification & documentation of suspension systems
- Interface with other technical departments, locally & globally
- Support the correction of field quality problems as well as manufacturing problems
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, or similar field, is required. Master's degree preferred
- 10+ years of product development experience in the automotive industry, with strong vehicle suspension systems experience
- Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), or willingness to obtain
- Knowledge of heavy duty trucks and the North American market
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills
- Ability to analyse dynamic vehicle test data
- Ability to analyse dynamic vehicle simulation data
- Familiar with CAE (Computer Aided Engineering) tools for FEA (structural) and/or multi-body vehicle dynamic simulation
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and on a timely basis with project managers, project teams, and external partners
- Ability to work collaboratively and develop strong partnerships
- Familiar with PTC Creo tools
- Strong time management skills
- Proactive work style
- Ability to manage multiple tasks
- Leadership Competencies: Customer focus, Decision quality, Instills trust, Demonstrates self-awareness, Action oriented
Volvo Group Trucks Technology provides Volvo Group Trucks and Business Area's with state-of-the-art research, cutting-edge engineering, product planning and purchasing services, as well as aftermarket product support. With Volvo Group Trucks Technology you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust each other and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify