Engineer - Logistics Engineering
This Logistics Engineer role is a critical position within a cross functional team supporting a specific product line (Engine, Transmission, or Axles). The main objective of this role is to work collaboratively with members of other organizational teams (production, quality, safety, environment, etc.) to proactively improve the critical logistics processes supporting production. Critical thinking, creativity, problem solving, data analysis and interpersonal skills will be utilized heavily on a daily basis.
Scope and influence
Individual contributor: Responsible for tasks or initiatives directly related to a production process, while some tasks may relate to broader functions which affect multiple production areas. In some cases, this role will require stand-alone efforts, and other times will require working within a team environment.
Individual contributor: The Engineer – Logistics Development: N-6 from Volvo Group CEO, reporting to Manager – Logistics Development Engineering.
- Represent the Supply Chain organization in daily production status meetings, and elevate necessary information for support or communication
- Work cross functionally with production and logistics teams to implement process improvements to prevent part related disturbances to the specified production process
- Collect and analyze production disturbance/loss data in order to prioritize improvement opportunities
- Generate and maintain standardized work instructions for logistics personnel within the production process
- Apply and expand general Volvo Production System (VPS) knowledge across logistics and production functions
- Use organizational skills to maintain data, information, and time plans to effectively communicate improvement progress
- Support in the development, and application, of the continuous improvement process within material handling/logistics areas
- Identify the Deviation
- Protect the Customer with Immediate Countermeasure
- Collect Data and Perform Analysis
- Perform Root Cause Analysis
- Implement Sustaining Actions to Eliminate Reoccurrence
- May supervisor unionized workforce
Fulfilment of financial and operational KPI’s for Engineer – Logistics Development such as:
- Logistics Disturbance to production (minutes)
- Logistics cost per unit (CPU)
- WIP inventory
- Material delivery lead time
- Production Quality
Essential educational and/or training qualifications and certificates
- Bachelor’s Degree in Manufacturing Logistics or Industrial Engineering and 1+ years of experience in a similar environment OR 3+ years of related experience in a manufacturing environment
- Competencies required, taken from the Volvo Leadership competencies (see competencies below)
- Previous work within supply chain or internal manufacturing logistics
- Previous exposure to automotive manufacturing or an industrial environment is important and highly considered.
- Understanding and exposure to lean manufacturing principles
- Experience with working in cross functional teams
- AutoCAD (or other modelling software)*
- Supervisory experience
- As all documentation is in English, proficiency in the English language is required
Volvo Group Trucks Operations encompasses all production of the Group’s engines and transmissions, as well as all production of Volvo, Renault and Mack trucks. The organization is responsible for spare parts supplies to the Group's customers as well as for designing, operating and optimizing logistics and supply chain for all brands, production facilities and distribution centers where the Volvo Group operates. In Volvo Group Trucks Operations you will be part of a diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify