Supervisor - Metallurgist
Do you want to be at the forefront of new technology? Are you an experienced metallurgist who wants to work for a respected, global company that values people? Have you implemented new processes in the metallurgy lab? Developed a team of specialists in metallurgy? Are you goal oriented with a customer mindset? Apply now!
THIS IS US, YOUR NEW COLLEAGUES
Our team is growing! We work cross-functionally and globally to exceed our customers' expectations and reach the world class manufacturing level. We have exciting work in front of us, and more on the horizon! The automotive world is changing rapidly and to be part of this big change is an exciting movement. The opportunities are endless if you are willing to join our team in the challenges ahead of us. We want an experienced metallurgist who can lead, manage and implement changes and new processes. Someone who can plan and prioritize, collaborate, communicate, and deliver.
WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT HAGERSTOWN?
We Are The Heart.
We develop and produce heavy-duty diesel engines, transmissions, and axles for Volvo Group Brands. In operation since 1961, we proudly service and support the community of Washington County and its surrounding areas.
Click here to explore more about Hagerstown: www.volvogroup.com/hagerstown
Responsibilities include leading the metallurgical activities/team and also be the reference in the cleanliness program for the plant. You'll utilize the tools of the Volvo Production System and other lean initiatives to meet present and future demands. Collaborate with production, material control, industrial development, business process/logistics, human resources, finance, maintenance, suppliers, and global Volvo entities as required ensures the success of our projects and products.
- Develop processes related to the metallurgical functions to ensure that requirements are met and that testing is carried out in a control manner.
- Define activities to maximize the use of the cleanliness room.
- Provide metallurgical and technical support to our customers including timely feedback.
- Perform metallurgical analysis on field failure parts and sample preparation techniques.
- Develop competences of employees in the use of laboratory and on way of workings.
- Develop standard operating procedures (SOP) for the metallurgical laboratory.
- Audit special manufacturing processes such as paint application, heat treatment, etc.
- Perform problem solving of a metallurgical nature.
- Participate to the global network with other plants.
- In project, ensure that pre-requisites of metallurgy are addressed for the start of production.
- Be the reference for the cleanliness program with training, local & global audit.
A Qualified Candidate would typically have the following skills/experience
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Metallurgy or Material Engineering
- 10+ years of laboratory experience to include sample prep, microstructure analysis, induction hardening, continuous and static furnace heat treatment.
- Demonstrated individual and teamwork problem solving
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated risk identification and mitigation skills
- Time management and prioritization skills
Preferred experience and knowledge
- Manufacturing experience.
- Volvo manufacturing systems experience
- Six Sigma Black Belt
- Quality engineering experience.
Necessary technical/functional/language skills
- Proficiency in the English language is required
- Evaluate performance of team member and initiate counseling or training to obtain the optimum effectiveness of the department activities.
- Customer Focus: Understand the needs of internal and external customers
- Maintain state-of-the-art knowledge in the field of metallurgy.
- Ensure that latest revisions of external standards are accessible on-line.
- Encourage Operational Excellence.
- Strive for continuous improvement.
Volvo Group Trucks Operations encompasses all production of the Group’s engines and transmissions, as well as all production of Volvo, Renault and Mack trucks. The organization is responsible for spare parts supplies to the Group's customers as well as for designing, operating and optimizing logistics and supply chain for all brands, production facilities and distribution centers where the Volvo Group operates. In Volvo Group Trucks Operations you will be part of a diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify