Associate Mechanical Engineer
Volvo’s Chassis Engineering department in Greensboro, North Carolina has an exciting entry level engineering position opening. We are looking for an Associate Mechanical Engineer to join our team to support heavy-duty truck rear suspensions.
Would you like to be part of a strong engineering team that is engaged in the development of future transportation solutions that includes electrification and automation? Would you like to work in an enthusiastic and challenging atmosphere surrounded by highly skilled co-workers? Does the chance to develop new and advanced solutions for Mack and Volvo trucks excite you? Then this position may be the right one for you! We are seeking an entry-level engineer that is a team player and enjoys working in a cross-functional environment to develop engineering solutions for heavy-duty trucks.
The Chassis Engineering department is a highly skilled team responsible for chassis development for the North America Mack & Volvo truck brands in the Volvo Group. We develop chassis components and systems for conventional diesel powered trucks, electro-mobility powered vehicles, and will be evolving towards providing autonomous vehicle solutions. This position will report to the Group Manager for Steering, Axles & Suspension (SAS) in Chassis Engineering. The SAS group is primarily responsible for steering functions, non-driven axles and vehicle suspension solutions. The SAS team works in close cooperation with many different functional areas.
Responsibilities and main tasks
As an Associate Mechanical Engineer for the rear suspensions, you will specifically support the development and maintenance of vehicle rear suspensions, with the support and oversight of experienced rear suspensions engineers.
Examples of typical activities and responsibilities:
- Supporting the development, analysis, verification & documentation of rear suspensions while achieving targets for performance/ features, quality, and cost
- Interacting with other technical departments, locally & globally
- Supporting the investigation and correction of field quality problems
- Supporting the investigation and correction of manufacturing/ assembly problems
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- 0 to 3 years of product development experience in the automotive industry
- Willingness to obtain a Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) in the long term (via classes are offered by Volvo)
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills
Preferred competencies and attributes
- Familiar with CAE (Computer Aided Engineering) tools for FEA (structural) and/or multi-body vehicle dynamic simulation
- Familiar with PTC Creo tools
- Strong time management skills, customer focus, decision quality, and collaboration
- Proactive work style
- Ability to manage multiple tasks
Volvo Group Trucks Technology provides Volvo Group Trucks and Business Area's with state-of-the-art research, cutting-edge engineering, product planning and purchasing services, as well as aftermarket product support. With Volvo Group Trucks Technology you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust each other and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify