Director - Labour & Employee Relations
Proactively drive and develop Labour & Employee strategies, policies, guidelines, tools, methods and processes for Volvo Group, including using benchmarking for continuous improvements. Provide advice and support on labor and employee relations issues, including labor law, union negotiations, collective bargaining, and current labor and employee relations topics.
The incumbent, as part of country HR Center of Expertise (CoE), will ensure that country and business requirements are aligned, monitored and improved continuously. Director - L&ER will contribute to the further development of global policies and guidelines and best practices, and play an important role in helping to implement and continuously improve the HR Service Delivery Model. The incumbent will act as support to the TD/BA/GFs and initiate activities to harmonize HR policies and procedures.
- Interpretation of national laws and agreements
- Responsible for coordinating and establish governance structure regarding Labor Relations and Union negotiations and support (or lead) country union negotiations as needed
- Advise and consult TD/BA/GF in the area of Labor Relations incl union negotiations
- Follow up of personnel related costs and union activities/costs
- Enable workforce flexibility
- Feed in national laws and agreements to other processes, e.g. Competence Management, Recruitment, Health & Safety etc.
- Manage Competence Shift Programme, policies, guidelines and tools
- Guide and consult how to reach a good working relations culture, with or without unions, preferably based on a country labour and employee strategy
- Develop a Country Labor and Employee Relations Strategy aligned to Global Labor & Employee Relations Roadmap.
- Secure knowledge and awareness in country labour laws and agreements for local and international managers and HR community
- Responsible for Employee Experience
- Consults, participates and supports in strategic projects and initiatives (lead by Global Group HR), including giving feedback on country requirements
- Initiates and leads strategic projects and initiatives at a country level, including benchmarking activities to ensure a leading edge approach supporting the Volvo Groups current and future business needs
- Develops, implements, evaluates and improves country policies and guidelines and country strategic measurements
- Initiates and ensures communication of country policies and guidelines and communication at a country level of Corporate/Global policies/strategies/processes
- Ensure HR policies/strategies in a specific HR area(s) are in line with Group/Global HR policies/strategies/ and harmonized on country level
- Ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements and Corporate requirements
- Vendor selection and relations with suppliers in strategic areas at country level
- Request, coordinate and follow up on HR CoE, HRS and TD/BA/GF performance and measures on country level on behalf of HR Country Committee
- Support and consult TD/BA/GF in development of communication and training plans on country level
- External networking within country including employer cooperation and coordination (external and internal)
- Request business functionality with regards to supporting systems and tools on country level; review, evaluate and request changes and development
- Approves or rejects escalated issues of strategic or precedential nature on country level
- Give feedback to Group HR, where an approach has to be varied due to legislation or a recognised country approach ensure that implementation is in line with country employment legislation
- Oversees Employee Welfare programmes, initiatives and processes
- Executing Union Negotiations: Understand, identify and evaluate LER goals as they relate to the HR Long term plan for the Volvo Group and ensure alignment of business objectives from the country perspective and local labor trends. Plan tactics and structure negotiation topics to obtain optimal results.
- Local, national, and international labor law and agreements: Understand, interpret, and implement national laws and agreements and ensure alignment with business needs and objectives. If applicable, gain understanding of European, or even global laws, as they relate to the local situation.
- Risk Management: Manage risks related to labor, employee, and union relations including those activities and issues that support and inform the decision making process within the organization.
- Conflict Management: Identify and understand the root causes of conflict between the organization and trade unions / employee representatives, and provide professional and unbiased mediation/facilitation to resolve divisive issues between conflicting parties.
- HR core process knowledge
- Attract & Recruit People
- Develop & Train People
- Manage Performance & Talent
- Reward & Recognize Employees
- Develop culture & Organisation
- Plan Competence and Workforce
- Manage Org. and People Information
- General HR knowledge
- Health & safety
- Introduction to Volvo Group; structure and strategy
- HRIS & Tools
- HR Service Delivery Model
- Labor Law
Education and Experience
- Minimum 15 years HR experience with ability to demonstrate/develop deep knowledge and understanding within area of responsibility
- MBA-HR / MSW or appropriate academic qualification
- Experience from HR operational work as HRBP
- Experience of independently managing Factory HR
- Fluency in English. Kannada language proficiency preferred
- Leadership and influencing skills to manage and lead country teams and networks
- Strong organisational, interpersonal and multi-cultural communication skills
- Experience of coaching and facilitation
Volvo Group Human Resources contributes to realizing the vision of Volvo Group by driving the development of a global team of high performing people. The Volvo Group University, which delivers training and development and HR Services, that deliver HR administration and support are also part of the Group HR organization. With Volvo Group HR you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust each other and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.