Supplier Quality Engineer / Manufacturing Process
- The Supplier Quality Engineer (SQE)/ Manufacturing Process performs quality assurance activities of purchased items within projects with the objective of monitoring and guiding suppliers to establish processes that are able to deliver parts according to the agreed specification consistently
- Responsible for the industrialization of products from sourcing phase through PPAP approval of components.
- Performs process audits and process development for plastic and other molded components (examples: Injection molding, vacuum forming, thermoforming, SMC, DCPD)
- Works in accordance with GTP (Group Trucks Purchasing) Processes, Quality systems, the Volvo Way and the GTP values and behaviors
- Manages quality data in Volvo IT systems
- Manages portfolio of suppliers as assigned by Supplier Quality Group Manager. Responsible for the quality of parts shipped to any Volvo location
- Monitors processes to achieve objectives for portfolio in accordance with Purchasing Strategic Objectives and with customer’s needs
- The SQE is responsible for those suppliers performing APQP (Advanced Product Quality Planning) for selected purchased part.
- The SQE manages the APQP Tracking Process according to Volvo Purchasing procedure.
- The SQE performs activities with the purpose to quality assure purchased items within projects in order to minimize supplier related quality failures at Volvo plant from early project builds through industrialization and end-customers.
- Contribute in assuring quality objectives are known to suppliers.
- Inform and educate suppliers in the Volvo Supplier Quality expectations.
- Review and identify suppliers’ manufacturing risks and potential improvements. Assure actions are taken to close identified gaps.
- Perform Process Audits at suppliers and drive supplier to close the gaps.
- Responsible to keep all part quality information accurate and updated in the Volvo Global Purchasing System.
- Review APQP and PPAP deliverables during regularly scheduled project meetings.
- Review critical characteristics, documentation, requirements and procedures at supplier location.
- Provide timely disposition of PPAP documentation submitted by Volvo suppliers.
- Initiate and follow up preventive quality action programs when needed and follow up on action plans.
- Assist and contribute during design reviews and manufacturing feasibility reviews with suppliers.
- Contribute to resolving packaging instruction issues and resolve engineering documentation questions or concerns.
- Contribute in solving supplier related warranty, Quality Journal, Quality Action Group issues when needed.
- Evaluate and track product or process related deviations in order to support production until full approval and compliance can be obtained.
- Review and assist in quality rejections that occur in the manufacturing environment as a result of supplier deficiencies
- Strong hands on experience (>5 years) in manufacturing processes for plastics and other molded components. Experience must include understanding of process characteristics, process parameters, type of tooling required, application of gages and fixtures for process monitoring, etc.
- >3 years of experience in APQP/PPAP
- Bachelors in Engineering (extensive experience and strong performance can substitute for lack of diploma)
- Zero-defect mentality and strong continuous improvement attitude
- Experienced with application of GD&T in manufacturing of components
- Good general technical knowledge
- Good knowledge of automotive quality standards and tools such as ISO/IATF 16949
- Experienced with Six Sigma and Lean Manufacturing methodologies
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Preventive mindset but also leadership when it comes to solve problems or to make decision
- Ability to create networks, collaborate and lead cross functional activities within multi-cultural teams
- Excellent communication, diplomacy and strong project management skills
- Ability to work independently
Frequent – Approximately 50% to 75% travel.
The Volvo Group is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of trucks, buses, construction equipment and marine and industrial engines under the leading brands Volvo, Renault Trucks, Mack, UD Trucks, Eicher, SDLG, Terex Trucks, Prevost, Nova Bus, UD Bus and Volvo Penta. We aim at being the most admired employer in the industry by attracting and engaging the best people.
Volvo Group Trucks Purchasing has 125 BSEK in purchasing annual spend and 2,550 suppliers in serial production. We deliver the best possible products and service that bring value to our customers through scouting and working with high performing supply chain partners.
We support Volvo Group’s mission ‘Driving prosperity through transport solutions’ through sustainability, business ethics and innovation. When you join Volvo Group Trucks Purchasing, you will become part of a global network with more than 1,400 professionals in 50 different sites across 25 countries. Joining us means working in a global context with people from diverse backgrounds and different nationalities while contributing to the core business and results of Volvo Group.
Diversity is important for us, we therefore put a lot of time and effort into creating an open and inclusive environment for all. We are extremely proud to say that we are almost as many females as men in our team. We are goal oriented and business focused people who believe that the best results are achieved while having fun and when we challenge each other. We offer unique opportunities where you can accelerate your career through competence development and connect with people who are truly passionate for purchasing. Join us and work where the action is!
We Participate in E-verify