Manufacturing Engineer- Machining
Volvo Group Trucks Operations has seen exciting growth and opportunity in our Hagerstown, MD plant. Investments and new technology are being implemented and we are developing for the future.
For Manufacturing Engineering, this means a change journey where we are moving away from the traditional approach, to a more flexible engineering model. In the near future many new processes will be added to our Machining footprint, which will open the door for candidates with great soft skills, innovative thinking and a drive for problem solving.
Direct reports and matrix reports to the above Position
Direct reports – N/A
Mission/purpose of the Job
Individual contributor: To drive a continuous improvement philosophy (human, material, intellectual and financial) in order to deliver decided products at agreed targets.
Ensure machining processes are developed, optimized and secured with the goal of aligning with the global master process. Responsible for safety, quality, delivery, and cost of the machining process as well as projects/staff and competence development. Provide technical leadership and guidance across a departmental level within the Manufacturing Engineering machining business function, directly related to the manufacture of transmission gears and shafts. Foster a continuous improvement culture focused on waste elimination, employee engagement, and application/practice of lean theory.
Scope and influence
Individual contributor: Engineer – Manufacturing Machining: Support and drive a continuous improvement philosophy, utilizing the tools of the Volvo Production System and other lean initiatives to meet present and future demands. Assure that machining processes are developed that meet or exceed expectations with respect to quality, cost and reliability. Provide leadership and guidance in machining manufacturing engineering business functions by dealing directly and forthrightly with production, quality assurance, material control, industrial development, business process/logistics, human resources, finance, and maintenance as required.
Individual contributor: The Engineer - Manufacturing: N-6 from Volvo Group CEO, reporting to Manager – Machining Engineering
- Production systems such as, VMMS, DUGA, (TDS) Tool Data Sheet, (TnT) Tag n Trace.
- PFMEA driver with full ownership.
- Review potential product design changes and assess impact to machining process related to
- cycle time, tooling, fixturing, etc.
- Implement changes to the machining process as a result of product design improvement.
- Serve as technical lead within the machining product line.
- Ensure current and future machining methods follow or improve upon the global master process.
- Lead and conduct kaizen improvement activities focused on safety, quality, and cost initiatives.
- Support the Focused Improvement pillar within the Volvo Production System.
- Evaluate and recommend manufacturing processes, equipment, gauging, and tooling towards
- zero defects.
- Evaluate theoretical machining volume capacities and recommend appropriate manning requirements.
- Perform and participate in pre-studies related to machining capability and capacity.
- Recognize human capabilities and limitations through ergonomic principles.
- Perform benchmarking within the machining manufacturing engineering area.
- Develop cost saving proposals and improve productivity.
- Assist in developing plans to secure machining production capacity.
- Optimize “Bottlenecks” utilizing lean manufacturing principles.
- Sustain work processes for projects within the organization.
- Utilize experiences from current machining into new product and manufacturing projects.
- Drive and master VPS (Volvo Production Systems) principles throughout all activities.
Fulfilment of financial and operational KPI’s for Manufacturing Engineering such as:
- Projects/Staff, per agreed upon scope, time plan and budget.
- Safety & Quality Targets for Machining
Essential educational and/or training qualifications and certificates
- BS Degree in Manufacturing, Mechanical, Industrial Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Competencies required, taken from the Volvo Leadership competencies (see competencies below)
Preferred experience and knowledge
- Minimum of five (5) years’ of engineering experience in a machining role.
- Turning, Milling, Grinding, Gear Cutting machining experience.
- Experience in a Lean Manufacturing environment.
- CNC Programming experience.
Necessary technical/functional/language skills
- Needs to have a good understanding of the Volvo Group Business.
- As all documentation is in English, proficiency in the English language is required.
- Some travel will be required.
Volvo Group Trucks Operations encompasses all production of the Group’s engines and transmissions, as well as all production of Volvo, Renault and Mack trucks. The organization is responsible for spare parts supplies to the Group's customers as well as for designing, operating and optimizing logistics and supply chain for all brands, production facilities and distribution centers where the Volvo Group operates. In Volvo Group Trucks Operations you will be part of a diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
We Participate in E-verify